Monday, December 19, 2011

Learning from groups in History- Pilgrims and Jamestown colonists

I found this interesting site about Jamestown, and an article by Nancy Fisher found at this link: http://www.nps.gov/jame/historyculture/jamestown-and-plymouth-compare-and-contrast.htm The pilgrims at Plymouth immigrated for religious reasons and the colonists in Jamestown for economic reasons, but most interesting to me was the section on set backs in Fisher's article,
Inexperience, unwillingness to work, and the lack of wilderness survival skills led to bickering, disagreements, and inaction at Jamestown. Poor Indian relations, disease, and the initial absence of the family unit compounded the problems. Cooperation and hard work were part of the Pilgrim's lifestyle. Nevertheless, they too were plagued with hunger, disease, and environmental hazards.
I found this to be interesting because I hadn't ever really considered the inexperience or lack of skills in the colonists. Here was this group of people coming from Europe. Which was decidedly more developed than America. It would be like me trying to homestead, forge and hunt. Thinking I could do it and what I didn't know surely I could figure out. Hopefully I can learn more skills before I am really put to the test with a disaster.
I also hadn't thought of the colonists as lazy either, but apparently they were; or at least they were with certain types of work. I have found while wintering in my uncompleted home that when the temperature gets too cold, like 30's, I really don't want to do to much around the house except stay warm- so maybe that is really what the problem was. So I think it would be important for a group to understand these types of problems and plan for a way to over come them. Of course nothing will really take the place of real experience so trying a group event like a camping trip where you practice your plans is valuable time and experience.
When we get to our evacuation location, we will know our neighbors, because we have already met them. We have established a good relationship with them. I wonder how life might have been different if the colonists had gotten along better with their neighbors. Planning and prepping with my family means that our family unit should stay intact. However, groups, if planned can create a family unit even if they are not related by blood.
Since the time of the colonists and pilgrims, we, as a people in general, have learned more about sanitation and health. Also we are from this continent and have been acclimated to it. So I believe that while disease and health are still big concerns, we have a couple advantages over the colonists and pilgrims.
Some interesting ideas to ponder on at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment