Friday, February 24, 2012

Weather

The last couple of days have been in the 60's, and temperature wise it has been super! It wont last I saw that we will be dipping back down to the upper 40's. Last night we had an electrical storm, it was very short. I only saw 1 lightening strike and heard the resulting thunder that sent my dog scurrying to the smallest, tightest corner she could find. This morning we've been getting wind gusts, that make me envious of those who own wind turbines.
Weather plays a big part in the life around here. We have snow days, and black ice to deal with in addition to the wind, rain, and such. I find checking the weather is one of the last things I do before heading off to bed. It effects decisions like when I go grocery shopping, or staying in.
I have been thinking about how weather would effect my emergency preps. For instance if I was forced to evacuate in a snow storm I wouldn't be taking the dirt road to my brothers house. How about sheltering in place, I know I want to install a wood stove because on one particular day last winter the electrical went out and without an alternative form of heat we would have been really cold. So I've been thinking what if scenario's like what if we had a week long power failure like they did in NYC. What if it was in winter, or summer? (Spring and Fall being relatively mild temperature wise). So after all my musings, I believe what I am saying is think things through. Maybe even experiment, see if you could survive a day without using electricity during winter, or summer. Then adjust your preparations based on what you've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment