Friday, February 10, 2012

Spring? Is it really around the cornor?

Being in a new area I've really been studying the weather and the averages for the next month. I know that people in my area have said that this year was warmer, but I've found it to be close to the averages with the exception of 2 weeks in January. This week is actually colder than the average. One thing that does seem to be different this year seems to be how dry its been this year. I was excited to see that my brother is getting the garden in CA ready for spring plantings. Soon I'll need to do that too. My first year I'd actually like to plant my small "orchard" and get my trees established because I know that it can take a couple of years to start producing a fruit crop.
Gardening in prepping is important because you are doing two things. 1) You are creating a food source for your family, and 2) You are learning the skills that are important to do the first part. If you only store seeds in your preps and don't use them then you wont learn your areas growing season, if and which certain crops are more successful than others. You need to learn to recognize weeds, and plants. How to deal with particular rodents, birds and pests. All stuff you can't learn unless you actually go out and do it. I'll let you know if I can find someone to plow up my front yard so I can plant my "orchard." I'm also going to challenge you my reader to plant something even if it is just an herb in a container on your kitchen counter top, good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment