Monday, January 16, 2012

Clothing

When I consider my extended family and the preparations that they appear to be making it seems to me to be more about the food than any other kinds of preparing. One thing I hadn't thought of myself but rather read about was clothing. Lets imagine for a bit that you are not working. The clothes that you own will probably last a year maybe even two. But I've started to notice my hems on my favorite pants start to fray and sweaters start to stretch on the cuffs, and stains start appearing. When you are not working then these are things that are harder to replace. If for some strange reason like a disaster were to take place and you couldn't go shopping, those items would be hard to replace. If there were crazy inflation or some other strange economic event then then clothing might be hard to replace. I can't really think of a good reason other than unemployment for this scenario- still having well fitting clothes that are appropriate for gardening, or other physical labor in your storage might be appropriate. I would also encourage extra jackets, gloves, hats, socks, and SHOES (consider water resistant/proof hiking boots- or shoes with good thick soles and treads on them; and make sure you at least break them in before an emergency).

No comments:

Post a Comment